The DJing scene has always been a saturated one with multi-genre djs often diving into a niche that suits them. After DJ Ez’s 24 hour set on February 28 for Cancer Research which raised over £50,000, we are seeing more household names furthering their careers through branding themselves. We got to catch up with House DJ K Master who gave us some tips for becoming a better DJ.
1. Practice, Practice, Practice whether it is to your family, friends, strangers, just constantly perfect your skills
2. Be A Master of your craft *no pun intended* but its good to have a unique mixing style & tune selection
3. Research your track listings, you need to be up to date with new track releases, chart hits & upcoming artists.
4. Pay attention to the ‘tastemakers’ in the industry with your eyes & ears on the top DJs in the game.
5. Create a consistent flow of Mixcloud and Souncloud mixes either every week or every month.
6. Be sure to have Twitter, Instagram, Facebook on lock as your want to be accessible to your fanbase.
7. To push your brand further, put on your own club night or collaborate with another DJ for an event.
K Master, a talented DJ that has the ability to bring you the best sounds over a wide range of genres. His passion for DJing grew throughout secondary school as he numerously found himself practising on his set of decks and recording mixes. His musical taste has always been broad which has led him to have a good ear for potential club & radio bangers.
Whilst at university the funky house era became prominent, to which he then collaborated with a few producers within the scene. At this point his name started growing, as did his fan base and with such an energised mixing style & versatility of music, this signified his talent for DJing. Currently, K Master continues to evolve as a HOUSE DJ demonstrating his mixing skills both in the club and has on radio.